Wednesday, May 14, 2008

MISS G's STUDENT GETS ROBBED!


THIS IS SO CUTE. THIS ONE TAKES THE CAKE!
One day one of my students raced in the door for his piano lessons and ran up to me and said, "Miss G our house was robbed!" I gave him a big hug and told him how sorry I was that this happened to their family. I then asked him if they caught whomever robbed them, and he said, "No." Then I asked him what the robbers took from their house, I almost feel on the floor when he answered me and I could hardly keep a straight face, "Miss G, the only thing they took was my Theory Book!"
Everyone of my students has their own written theory book and they must do the pages assigned to them each week. I always have problems with this student getting his theory pages done! Sometimes he has to do them at class!
Well, he wasn't going to get away with this one so I just went to my music books and pulled out a brand new theory book for him and said, "I know how upset you are about your theory book being taken so I'll give you a new one and you can start the book all over again!" He said to me, "No, Miss G, I can't take a new one of your new theory books, that wouldn't be right!" Well, I insisted that he take it and consider it a gift from me to him! He took the theory book and didn't say anything more about it and we went on with his lesson. The next week in came racing in the door again and this time he said, "Miss G, they didn't take my theory book, my Mom found it behind the piano!" He handed me the new one I gave him and said, "lucky me, now I don't have to do all that theory over again!"
When children understand theory it aids them tremendously in playing the piano. They understand why they are playing what they are playing. They know how many beats to give each note, they learn the dynamics of music. Every child studying music should have their very own theory book, or in some cases two theory books!
The student I'm telling you about has now taken lessons from me for eight years and now he doesn't just play the piano, he is a pianist!
Music theory is the field of study that deals with the mechanics of music and how music works. It involves identifying patterns that govern composers' techniques. In a more general sense, music theory also often distills and analyzes the elements of music – rhythm, harmony (harmonic function), melody, structure, form, and texture. Broadly, theory may include any statement, belief, or conception of or about music (Boretz, 1995). People who study these properties are known as music theorists. Borrowed from: Wikipedia
What a great story! Miss G Little House of Music

No comments: