Tuesday, May 20, 2008

"THE FIRST 9 OF 42 ARE READY!"




Yesterday, my Monday "STARS" all rehearsed for our "Songs of May Party." First they all spoke into the microphone and introduced themselves and said what songs they were going to play and told a little about themselves. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to speak into a microphone in front of an audience? Students who are never quiet clam up the minute they have the microphone in their hand!
Then my Monday "STARS" headed for the piano and every one of them played their songs perfectly. The terrible part of being a piano coach is to know your students can play their song perfectly and then they goof at our party! It just breaks my heart for them. They have all been taught to continue to play when they make a mistake and the only two people who will know they goofed are them and me, well, maybe the parents! If they stop and correct their mistake everyone in the room will know they goof. Here at Little House of Music it is OK to goof! We take the no one is perfect approach.
Yesterday the songs I heard went from rock and roll to classical. I told my students to choose the song they wanted to play, not one I wanted to hear.
Can't wait to hear the next round of students today! I'll keep you posted so stay tuned in!
Miss G Little House of Music

No comments: