Wednesday, May 21, 2008

"MISS G GUEST SPEAKER AT KAWANIS CLUB"


I had heard of the Kiwanis Clubs all of my life but never really knew what all they did. I was honored when I was asked to be a guest speaker May 20, 2008 for the Kiwanis Club in Titusville, Florida. When I first saw the literature and heard what all they were working on I knew I found a new home. The Kiwanis Motto: "Kiwanis is a global organization for volunteers dedicated to changing the world, one child and one community at a time."
All I needed to see were those two words "One Child" and I was ready to join.
The above picture is of me in the middle with Karen Johnson and on left and President Nancy Oliver on the right.
I spoke about my music career and children. After all, I am music and I'm a kid person! I brought to their attention the great need for every private music teacher across America to be fingerprinted, a background check done on them and a state license to make sure they are qualified to be a private music teacher and are safe for our children to be around. As of this date there are no regulations for private music teachers, teaching millions of our children every day across the USA! Unbelievable isn't it? Parents just assume that all of the above checks are taken care of in each state. Not True! I'm completely overwhelmed by the lack of our governments involvement with this issue. I have written to every Senator, Representative, even the Governor of our great state of Florida. The best I have heard so far is that they will try and get it in the 2008 registration session! How very thoughtful of them when are children are at great risk, not to mention the parents who pay a private teacher for lessons who are not even qualified to teach music! I also have written to Fox news, CNN, The John Walsh Foundation just to name a few. No response from anyone!
I will never stop until this issue is settled, we must make everything a safe place for our children. The above checks are done for ball coaches, at recreation centers, just about everything a child does they are protected except for private music lessons. We all know the importance of music education for our children. Let's work together and not only will our children be safe they will be aiding their formal education by learning music.
I'd love to hear your comments on this issue.
Miss G Little House of Music

2 comments:

Liripoop said...

I recall my grandmother telling me how she was abused by her piano teacher during lessons as a child. The memory still haunted her 70 years later.

You make a lot of sense and like many parents, a working with children check for music teachers is not something that has crossed my mind.

I wish you all the best in your quest.

Little House Of Music said...

Liripoop,
Thank you for your comment. I will not quit until I get this issue under control for our children.
It was great meeting with you all. I'd love to come back and visit someday soon.
Miss G Little House of Music