Saturday, July 5, 2008

"RICOLA" MISS G SAW AND HEARD THE ALPENHORN"


This is Miss G from Little House of Music and it was the coolest thing to see and hear an Alpenhorn. I was at a track meet where my daughter-in-law Catherine was running in Orlando and Ricola throat drops were there to sponsor the track meet. They are certainly huge, I never dreamed one would be that long.
Alphorn or Alpenhorn is a brass instrument, consisting of a natural wooden horn of conical bore, with a cup shaped mouthpiece used by mountain dwellers in Switzerland and elsewhere. similar horns were used in most moutainous Europe, from Sweden to the Romanian.
The archaeological record stretches back some two thousand years in the Celtic tribes. The Alphorn or Alpenhorn sounded as apart of the daily actives of the shepherds and cowherd of the mountain people.
I'd love to have one but where in the world would I keep it. It's a little long for my music room, although they do have smaller ones but I'd want the longest one!
It's a very interesting instrument. Hope you have enjoyed!
Stay turned!
Miss G Little House of Music

No comments: