Thursday, July 10, 2008

"MISS G'S PINKISH-PURPLE PERIWINKLE PLANT"


"PLANTS ARE REALLY NATURE'S BEST CHEMISTS."
Go ahead and try to say that five times in a row! "Pinkish-Purple Periwinkle Plant!" This is Miss G with Little House of Music and I didn't realize until I searched the web that my Periwinkle plants are very important plants. The birds must carry the seeds all over the yard and drop them because I have different color periwinkles everywhere in my yard and I love them. Periwinkles have been cultivated since ancient times.
The common name of plants in two related genera in the Apocyraceae family, Catharanthus and Vinca Minor!
The related Madagascar Periwinkle (Catharanthus Roseus) produces chemicals that prevent the division of cells and are used to treat "LEUKAEMIA!" Are you believing this? Very, very COOL! I have always thought that there is something on our earth to cure every illness, we just have to fine it!
I was just going to show you my plant until I found all this interesting information on the periwinkle.
Enjoy! Stay tuned for more plant information!
Miss G Little House of Music

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Periwinkles are a poisonous plant!

Do not ingest naturally!
Don't try and make tea or put it in a salad!

The meriam webster dictionary defines the following =

Main Entry: rosy periwinkle
Function: noun
Date: 1982
: a commonly cultivated subshrub (Catharanthus roseus syn. Vinca rosea) of the dogbane family that is native to the Old World tropics and is the source of several antineoplastic drugs —called also Madagascar periwinkle, periwinkle

Be carefull!
Research!