Thursday, July 17, 2008

"MISS G SEES MYSTERY BIRD ON LAKE MONROE"




Hi, this is Miss G with Little House of Music and I saw a bird on Lake Monroe that I have never seen before.
I took pictures and came home and searched my bird books and the web to find out what kind of bird it is.
It's a "GALLINULES" and is a duck-like bird seen on fresh water ponds or lakes. The red shield that looks like red leather on it's forehead makes it unmistakably different. It loves to climb on and around tall grass and reeds at the edge of lakes. It has very big feet that our a greenish yellow color.
There is also the Purple Gallinule, one of the most beautiful birds in the world. It has the intense bluish purple of a peacock on it's chest and a light blue shield on its forehead. It's legs are bright yellow with extremely large feet which allow it to walk on lily pads and other water plants in search of insect food. The pond at Royal Palm in the Florida Everglades National Park is the best place to look for this bird. The purple Gallinule is a rare and exciting find.
Now I know the rest of the story. It's a beautiful bird and I'm so happy I got to see one.
Enjoy!
Miss G Little House of Music

No comments: